2 Chronicles 27
2Ch 27:1-4. JOTHAM, REIGNING WELL, PROSPERS.
1. Jotham was twenty and five years old—(See on 2Ki 15:32-35).His mother's name . . . Jerushah, the daughter of Zadok—or descendant of the famous priest of that name [2Sa 8:17].
2. he did that which was right—The general rectitude of his government is described by representing it as conducted on the excellent principles which had guided the early part of his father's reign.the people did yet corruptly—(See 2Ki 15:35); but the description here is more emphatic, that though Jotham did much to promote the good of his kingdom and aimed at a thorough reformation in religion, the widespread and inveterate wickedness of the people frustrated all his laudable efforts.
3. He built the high gate of the house of the Lord—situated on the north—that portion of the temple hill which was high compared with the southern part—hence "the higher," or upper gate (see on 2Ki 15:35). He built, that is, repaired or embellished.and on the wall of Ophel—Hebrew, "the Ophel," that is, the mound, or eminence on the southeastern slope of the temple mount, a ridge lying between the valleys Kedron and Tyrop on, called "the lower city" [JOSEPHUS]. He built much—having the same desire as his father to secure the defense of Jerusalem in every direction.
4. in the mountains of Judah, and in the forests he built castles and towers—that is, in the elevated and wooded spots where fortified cities could not be placed, he erected castles and towers.
2Ch 27:5-9. HE SUBDUES THE AMMONITES.
5. He fought also with the king of the Ammonites—This invasion he not only repelled, but, pursuing the Ammonites into their own territory, he imposed on them a yearly tribute, which, for two years, they paid. But when Rezin, king of Syria, and Pekah, king of Israel, combined to attack the kingdom of Judah, they took the opportunity of revolting, and Jotham was too distracted by other matters to attempt the reconquest (see on 2Ki 15:37).
Welcome to STEP Bible
From Tyndale House, Cambridge UK
Use the search box to find Bibles, commentaries, passages, search terms, etc. Here are some examples:
Examples to use the search box to find Bibles, passages, search terms, etc.-
Examples of some Bible study tools +
KJVCol 3 Color code grammar
Examples to enable color code grammar +
KJVEph 1 Color code grammar