1. hardeneth . . . neck—obstinately refuses counsel (2Ki 17:14; Ne 9:16).destroyed—literally, "shivered" or "utterly broken to pieces." without remedy—literally, "without healing" or repairing.
2. (Compare Pr 11:10; 28:28).in authority—(Compare Margin), increased in power.
3. (Compare Pr 4:6, 7; 10:1, &c.).
4. by judgment—that is, righteous decisions, opposed to those procured by gifts (compare Pr 28:21), by which good government is perverted.land—for nation.
5. (Compare Pr 26:28).spreadeth . . . feet—By misleading him as to his real character, the flatterer brings him to evil, prepared by himself or others.
6. In—or, "By"the transgression—he is brought into difficulty (Pr 12:13), but the righteous go on prospering, and so sing or rejoice.
7. considereth—literally, "knows," as Ps 1:6.the cause—that is, in courts of justice (compare Pr 29:14). The voluntary neglect of it by the wicked (Pr 28:27) occasions oppression.
8. Scornful men—those who contemptuously disregard God's law.bring—(Compare Margin), kindle strife. turn away wrath—that is, "abate wrath."
9. contendeth—that is, in law.whether . . . laugh—The fool, whether angry or good-humored, is unsettled; or referring the words to the wise man, the sense is, that all his efforts, severe or gentle, are unavailing to pacify the fool.
10. bloodthirsty—(Compare Margin), murderers (Ps 5:6; 26:9).hate, &c.— (Pr 1:11; Ge 3:4). seek . . . soul—that is, to preserve it.
11. (Compare Pr 12:16; 16:32).mind—or, "spirit," for anger or any ill passion which the righteous restrain.
12. His servants imitate him.
13. (Compare Pr 22:2).deceitful man—literally, "man of vexations," an exactor. the Lord . . . their eyes—sustains their lives (1Sa 14:27; Ps 13:3); that is, both depend on Him, and He will do justice.
15. (Compare Pr 13:24; 23:13).
16. (Compare Pr 29:2, 12; Ps 12:1-8).shall see . . . fall—and triumph in it (Ps 37:34-38; 58:10, 11).
17. (Compare Pr 29:3, 15; Pr 19:18).give thee rest—peace and quiet (compare Pr 29:9).
18. no vision—instruction in God's truth, which was by prophets, through visions (1Sa 3:1).people perish—(Compare Margin), are deprived of moral restraints. keepeth the law—has, and observes, instruction (Pr 14:11, 34; Ps 19:11).
19. A servant—who lacks good principle.corrected—or discovered. will not answer—that is, will not obey.
20. (Compare Pr 21:5).hasty in . . . words?—implying self-conceit (Pr 26:12).
21. become his son—assume the place and privileges of one.
22. (Compare Pr 15:18). Such are delighted by discord and violence.
23. (Compare Pr 16:18; 18:12).honour . . . spirit—or, "such shall lay hold on honor" (Pr 11:16).
24. hateth . . . soul—(Compare Pr 8:36).heareth cursing— (Le 5:1), risks the punishment, rather than reveal truth.
25. The fear . . . snare—involves men in difficulty (compare Pr 29:6).shall be safe—(Compare Margin; Pr 18:10).
26. (Compare Margin; Ps 27:8). God alone will and can do exact justice.
Welcome to STEP Bible
From Tyndale House, Cambridge UK
Use the search box to find Bibles, commentaries, passages, search terms, etc. Here are some examples: