Pr 9:1-18. The commendation of wisdom is continued, under the figure of a liberal host, and its provisions under that of a feast (compare Lu 14:16-24). The character of those who are invited is followed by a contrasted description of the rejectors of good counsel; and with the invitations of wisdom are contrasted the allurement of the wicked woman.
1. house—(compare Pr 8:34).her—or, "its" (the house). seven pillars—the number seven for many, or a sufficiency (Pr 6:31).
2. mingled—to enhance the flavor (Pr 23:30; Isa 5:22).furnished—literally, "set out," "arranged."
3. maidens—servants to invite (compare Ps 68:11; Isa 40:9).highest places—ridges of heights, conspicuous places.
4-6. (Compare Pr 1:4; 6:32). Wisdom not only supplies right but forbids wrong principles.
7, 8. shame—(Compare Pr 3:35).a blot—or, "stain on character." Both terms denote the evil done by others to one whose faithfulness secures a wise man's love.
9. The more a wise man learns, the more he loves wisdom.
10. (Compare Pr 1:7).of the holy—literally, "holies," persons or things, or both. This knowledge gives right perception.
11. (Compare Pr 3:16-18; 4:10).
12. You are mainly concerned in your own conduct.
13. foolish woman—or literally, "woman of folly," specially manifested by such as are described.clamorous—or, "noisy" (Pr 7:11). knoweth nothing—literally, "knoweth not what," that is, is right and proper.
14. on a seat—literally, "throne," takes a prominent place, impudently and haughtily.
15, 16. to allure those who are right-minded, and who are addressed as in Pr 9:4, assimple—that is, easily led (Pr 1:4) and unsettled, though willing to do right.
17. The language of a proverb, meaning that forbidden delights are sweet and pleasant, as fruits of risk and danger.
18. (Compare Pr 2:18, 19; 7:27).
Welcome to STEP Bible
From Tyndale House, Cambridge UK
Use the search box to find Bibles, commentaries, passages, search terms, etc. Here are some examples:
Examples to use the search box to find Bibles, passages, search terms, etc.-
Examples of some Bible study tools +
KJVCol 3 Color code grammar
Examples to enable color code grammar +
KJVEph 1 Color code grammar