Ps 82:1-8. Before the great Judge, the judges of the earth are rebuked, exhorted, and threatened.
1. congregation—(Compare Ex 12:3; 16:1).of the mighty—that is, of God, of His appointment. the gods—or, "judges" (Ex 21:6; 22:9), God's representatives.
2. accept the persons—literally, "lift up the faces," that is, from dejection, or admit to favor and communion, regardless of merit (Le 19:15; Pr 18:5).
3, 4. So must good judges act (Ps 10:14; Job 29:12).
4. poor and needy—(Compare Ps 34:10; 41:1).
5. By the wilful ignorance and negligence of judges, anarchy ensues (Ps 11:3; 75:3).out of course—(Compare Margin; Ps 9:6; 62:2).
6, 7. Though God admitted their official dignity (Joh 10:34), He reminds them of their mortality.
7. fall like, &c.—be cut off suddenly (Ps 20:8; 91:7).
8. As rightful sovereign of earth, God is invoked personally to correct the evils of His representatives.
Welcome to STEP Bible
From Tyndale House, Cambridge UK
Use the search box to find Bibles, commentaries, passages, search terms, etc. Here are some examples:
Examples to use the search box to find Bibles, passages, search terms, etc.-
Examples of some Bible study tools +
KJVCol 3 Color code grammar
Examples to enable color code grammar +
KJVEph 1 Color code grammar