Ps 92:1-15. A Psalm-song—(see on Ps 30:1, title). The theme: God should be praised for His righteous judgments on the wicked and His care and defense of His people. Such a topic, at all times proper, is specially so for the reflections of the Sabbath day.
1. sing . . . name—celebrate Thy perfections.
2. in the morning, . . . every night—diligently and constantly (Ps 42:8).loving kindness—literally, "mercy." faithfulness—in fulfilling promises (Ps 89:14).
3. In such a work all proper aid must be used.with a . . . sound—or, on Higgaion (see on Ps 9:16), perhaps an instrument of that name, from its sound resembling the muttered sound of meditation, as expressed also by the word. This is joined with the harp.
4. thy work—that is, of providence (Ps 90:16, 17).
5. great . . . works—correspond to deep or vast thoughts (Ps 40:5; Ro 11:23).
6. A brutish man knoweth not—that is, God's works, so the Psalmist describes himself (Ps 73:22) when amazed by the prosperity of the wicked, now understood and explained.
8. This he does in part, by contrasting their ruin with God's exaltation and eternity.most high—as occupying the highest place in heaven (Ps 7:7; 18:16).
9, 10. A further contrast with the wicked, in the lot of the righteous, safety and triumph.
10. horn . . . exalt—is to increase power (Ps 75:5).anointed . . . fresh—or, "new" oil— (Ps 23:5) a figure for refreshment (compare Lu 7:46). Such use of oil is still common in the East.
11. see . . . [and] . . . hear my desire—or, literally, "look on" my enemies and hear of the wicked (compare Ps 27:11; 54:7) —that is, I shall be gratified by their fall.
12-14. The vigorous growth, longevity, utility, fragrance, and beauty of these noble trees, set forth the life, character, and destiny of the pious;
15. and they thus declare God's glory as their strong and righteous ruler.
Welcome to STEP Bible
From Tyndale House, Cambridge UK
Use the search box to find Bibles, commentaries, passages, search terms, etc. Here are some examples:
Examples to use the search box to find Bibles, passages, search terms, etc.-
Examples of some Bible study tools +
KJVCol 3 Color code grammar
Examples to enable color code grammar +
KJVEph 1 Color code grammar