Ps 94:1-23. The writer, appealing to God in view of the oppression of enemies, rebukes them for their wickedness and folly, and encourages himself, in the confidence that God will punish evildoers, and favor His people.
1, 2. God's revenge is His judicial infliction of righteous punishment.show thyself—(Compare Margin).
2. Lift up thyself—or, "Arise," both figures representing God as heretofore indifferent (compare Ps 3:7; 22:16, 20).
3, 4. In an earnest expostulation he expresses his desire that the insolent triumph of the wicked may be ended.
5, 6. thy people [and] thine heritage—are synonymous, the people being often called God's heritage. As justice to the weak is a sign of the best government, their oppression is a sign of the worst (De 10:18; Isa 10:2).
7. Their cruelty is only exceeded by their wicked and absurd presumption (Ps 10:11; 59:7).
8. ye brutish—(Compare Ps 73:22; 92:6).
9-11. The evidence of God's providential government is found in His creative power and omniscience, which also assure us that He can punish the wicked in regard to all their vain purposes.
12, 13. On the other hand He favors though He chastens, the pious, and will teach and preserve them till the prosperous wicked are overthrown.
14, 15. This results from His abiding love (De 32:15), which is further evinced by His restoring order in His government, whose right administration will be approved by the good.
16. These questions imply that none other than God will help (Ps 60:9),
17-19. a fact fully confirmed by his past experience.dwelt in silence—as in the grave (Ps 31:17).
19. my thoughts—or, anxious cares.
20. throne—power, rulers.iniquity [and] mischief—both denote evils done to others, as Ps 94:21 explains.
22, 23. Yet he is safe in God's care.defence— (Ps 59:9). rock of . . . refuge— (Ps 9:9; 18:2).
23. bring . . . iniquity—(Compare Ps 5:10; 7:16).in their . . . wickedness—while they are engaged in evil doing.
Welcome to STEP Bible
From Tyndale House, Cambridge UK
Use the search box to find Bibles, commentaries, passages, search terms, etc. Here are some examples:
Examples to use the search box to find Bibles, passages, search terms, etc.-
Examples of some Bible study tools +
KJVCol 3 Color code grammar
Examples to enable color code grammar +
KJVEph 1 Color code grammar